Monday 18 April 2011

AND BREATHE...

After three sewing projects, I had got it into my head that I pretty rubbish at sewing. Upon further consideration I realised I probably didn't do myself any favours due to making highly complex thing and forgetting that I am a first Year who is taking her first steps rather than an MA student. It is good to push yourself but sometimes you can push yourself too far.


Over the holidays, I decided that I would practise my sewing in a non-pressured environment. So I bought a few sewing patterns. They would help me develop my knowledge of pattern cutting and how to make patterns whilst also aiding my construction skills.


Two days later and I had made myself a fully lined (complex of course stupid me!) dress from 1946. It really was a rewarding feeling to have made something with love and focused on what I considered to be my weaknesses. I realised that I cannot hide from my weaknesses but rather need to practise and practise until I become confident enough with the task at hand.


I also realised that I am very impatient which is often to the detriment of my work. With effective time management, I can give myself enough time to construct my designs carefully.


Over the summer, I think I will give myself lots of sewing projects to really improve my skills as I will need them for second year work placement. 



No comments:

Post a Comment